1st Annual Alexandria Soccer Kick-Off (ASK)
March 15 & 16, 2014
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How is your event different than a normal tournament set-up?
- Alexandria Soccer Kick-Off (ASK) promotes the developmental model over the pressure of winning a preseason tournament. Each team will play a set amount of 3 games, with no playoff system to award teams that outscored the opponent.
- ASK has also partnered with SoccerMeter, an application that tracks statistics that promote their company slogan “Stop the boot ball. Play intelligent soccer.” After each game statistics will be available to the coach or manager to share with the team.
What are the basic details of the games?
- 50 minute games: Two (2) 25 minute halves for U8, U9 & U10
- 60 minute games: Two (2) 30 minute halves for U11 & U12
- 1 referee per game, older age groups will have more experienced referee’s
- No scores or standings will be reported. Each team will get SoccerMeter statistics after each game
- U8 will play 6v6, U9 & U10 will play 7v7, U11 & U12 will play 8v8
What is the level of play?
- We expect travel teams of all levels to register.
- Teams will be asked for their preferred level of play and we will group like teams together based on teams suggestions and our knowledge of the applied teams.
What teams should register for the U8 age group?
- Clubs with development programs that support the growth of more advanced U8 players are encouraged to enter a team.
- Clubs label these development programs under all different types of names (Academy, Cross-Over, Challenge, etc.).
- Registration for these players will need to include a proof of birth with either a copy of their birth certificate, passport or DMV ID.
Is this a recreational or travel event?
- We opened up the event to include a U8 age group, which would allow for kids in recreational soccer to be involved. Our expectation is that these U8 teams will be a group of advanced players from their own club who are likely travel players at U9. Many clubs now have academy or developmental programs that include this type of player.
- U9-U12 is for registered travel teams only.
When will our schedule be announced?
- Our timeline is listed on the event page and provides a guideline for announcements. We anticipate providing each team with their schedule 1-2 weeks before the event weekend.
Where will our games be?
- ASK has reserved a number of turf fields in Alexandria City and Arlington County to allow for each team to play all their games on turf, based on projected number of teams.
- ASK also has reserved premium Bermuda grass fields in Alexandria City if we exceed our projections.
- You can view the reserved fields on the event page under “fields”.
Additional questions? Please contact the ASK Director Jim Hogan at email@example.com or call (703) 684-5425